Trust me, I've been looking... but I've also been busy designing a house and it's rather hard trying to find a good product design, as well as a bad design, in doorknob packaging and paint colors. It's like comparing apples to oranges. I mean, I could compare the packaging of one set of light switch covers to another package of light switch covers... but the whole house has the same light switch covers... and the same paint... and the same doorknobs... so how am I to truly compare things when I'm being biased in my house designing?
Well, duh, obviously I need to think outside the house.
And I did.
I took a break from arguing about window coverings and decided to watch some TV. And thus I have found two things to compare that are closely related yet different enough to have some funked up designing. (Yes, I meant to say "funk".... I don't wanna swear in front of Eric. He's an outstanding teacher. Even has an award for it. Don't swear in front of people with awards. That goes for you too. I'm Miss American Starlet.)
Without further ado, I present to all of you my design presentation.
Sarafina Amodt's Design Presentation
I would much rather like to title this "Mean Girls vs. House Bunnies"... hehehe.... The 2008 movie "The House Bunny" was on TV the other night and all I could think of was how similar it is to my all time favorite 2004 movie "Mean Girls." Shall we begin with the official movie poster? I think yes.
Look. Stare. Oogle.


These are the official and original movie posters (I found them on IMDb). Let's just observe Mean Girl's poster first. What does it say to me? If I had never seen this movie I would think, right off the bat, that the redhead is the main character and the three girls on the side are the "mean girls." I would defiantly assume that the three girls torture the redhead. They look bold and vicious and the redhead looks like she's scared of them.
Now let's look at The House Bunny's poster. She looks like a dumb blonde. She's obviously a bunny. A playboy bunny... but I know that not all playboy bunnies are dumb. If I had never seen this movie I would think it's just a cliche dumb blonde movie that has something to do with playboy bunnies but I'm not sure what. I know it says she's going to college at the top of the poster so apparently a playboy bunny is going to school. Maybe that's why she looks so dumb. Bunnies don't do school.
So at first glance it looks like one movie is about one big cat fight and the second movie is about a dumb blonde going to school. Well... yeah... they got that right. But there's so much more to the movies than that.
The actual design of each poster is really different. But below I have found two identical blu ray DVD covers, which I'll get into later. The design of the Mean Girls movie poster is really cool with the bold and skinny text. I like it up against "Cady's" back. Somebody had a lot of fun with text on this poster. As for The House Bunny's poster... I hate it. It's boring. The text is right under "Shelly's" chin and it makes me feel like she can't breathe for some reason. I'm not so much of a fan with the text above her bunny ears at the top of the poster but I see that everywhere so I guess I'm okay with it. I just really don't like The House Bunny's poster because it's just FACE and TEXT. I just wanna back up a bit. There's too much face. I could stare at Mean Girls' poster all day because its fun to look at. I like all that fun text. It's entertaining to me. I dunno... haha.
Moving on.
Here are identical blu ray DVD covers.


I find this to be rather funny the way they mimic each other.
They each have a bold pink title with the actress' name above the title. They both have a quote at the bottom. And do I need to spell it out for you? The main character up front with her hand on her hip and the sexy little backup girls showing off their sexy personalities and perfect legs and hot bods... Oh. Sorry. Getting a little jealous over here.
Anyways. In the DVD cover design I feel that The House Bunny has a much better representation of the story in the movie. They could do without the cat, however. He doesn't really play that important of a role to be on the cover. But I like how you can see the house in the back. It changes the meaning from the previous poster. Now I can see that "house" isn't a reference to the playboy mansion. Its a reference to a sorority house. And with the additional characters in the poster I can see the relationship of the girls to the main character. They're a lot happier looking than the Mean Girls. They must like the main character.
I really didn't like the official movie poster for The House Bunny but I really like the blu ray DVD cover. It's so much more interesting to me rather than a boring pink background the Mean Girls have got going on.
I dunno. I feel that the good and bad design has flipped now... In the first comparison I was diggin' the Mean Girls' poster. But now Mean Girls' DVD cover is so blah. So not "fetch."
I just love all the color going on in The House Bunny's DVD cover! It's so warm and happy. Haha.
Alright, let's get down to business.
The Law of Similarity. Nope. There is no similarity between the movie posters. But yes, there is similarity between the DVD covers. I already pointed it out.
The Law of Proximity. Let's compare a Mean Girls poster to a Mean Girls DVD cover, shall we? Yes, yes. In the DVD cover design I feel that the proximity of all the girls could be real. As if the three mean girls really were standing in the distance of the redhead. But in the movie poster it looks fake. The longer I stare it the better I see that it's all photoshop. Yes, the DVD cover was photoshopped too, but at least it looks more realistic. The movie poster just looks like it has three girls standing on some text and then there's a giant redhead on the other side of the image. I don't feel any real closeness or proximity between all four girls in the Mean Girls movie poster.
The Law of Pragnanz. Wait what? Is that even a word? Pragnanz. Nope.
The Law of Continuity. ...I'm not sure where, if any, there is some continuity in the design... um... Girls. There are girls everywhere. ??
The Law of Closure. Again. I'm not seeing anything relating to this law...
And in case you know nothing of these two movies here is are the official trailers for each movie:
Mean Girls
The House Bunny
If you watched the trailers and would like me to evaluate the trailers I will tell you that I hate voiceovers in trailers. I really like how the Mean Girls' trailer just explains everything itself. I really feel like I'm a dumb blonde when I hear unseen voices in my head telling me what I'm watching, you know?
Anyways, here's some extra information on the two movies:
Both movies just so happen to be exactly 97 minutes and they are both rated PG-13. The House Bunny had a $25 million dollar budget. Mean Girls had a $18 million dollar budget. The House Bunny made $48.2 million dollars. Mean Girls made $86 million dollars.
No comments:
Post a Comment