My teacher has assigned us all this project where we have to "describe in design terms why a particular piece of art, a design, a sculpture, an expression creates that feeling of beauty inside [us]."
Easy, right?
Wrong.
I've been fretting this assignment for days.... Why? Because honestly I feel no inner beauty. I'm a soulless redhead and I live by that stereotype. I don't look at a rustic wheel rotting away in the fall and see something beautiful. I see an old abandoned wheel that has seen many a things in its day. It's not beautiful - if anything it's rather sad.
Now that I think about it... I've never really looked at anything and said "Gee, that's beautiful."
But I guess I gotta find something that brings out my inner beauty or else I'm gonna fail this assignment. Hmmm... Oooo! I got something... kinda... It doesn't exactly "create the feeling of beauty" within me... I don't feel beautiful when I look at it... It's not exactly what other people would call beautiful either... Gee, I dunno what beauty is! I'm just gonna give it my best shot. Like what I do in the mornings with my makeup...
So here we go.
Sarafina Amodt's Visceral Response
I have decided to viscerally respond to this particular piece of art for my assignment.
Here is a picture of it below:
I like this particular piece of art because, well, for one I made this. I painted it, I sculpted it and I designed it. But I also like it because it's a unicorn (my totally favorite animal ever) and it's white (my totally favorite color ever) and it's different. I may not have a connection with "beauty" but I have a connection with things that are different. Because I'm different not beautiful.
To me, this particular piece of art breaks the rules. And I'm a rule breaker. Thus, of course, I feel a very strong connection with particular piece of art. I feel that I am this piece of art. This piece of art is me. Breaking the rules. And breaking through the walls of disbelief. A unicron, a fairytale creature. Sometimes I feel like I'm just a fairytale creature. But I have the power within me to be who I wanna be. And to do what I wanna do. If I wanna combine two art forms then I'm gonna do it and while I'm at it I'm going bring unicorns into this world.
You can't possibly understand how I feel about this particular piece of art. ...I poured myself into this. This thing blows me away every time I think about it. I find this to be an exemplary example of stupefying to myself.
As far as being able to identify how "certain design influences such as line, form, color, space and texture contribute to its ability to create an affective consequence (a feeling)" ... I would say that everything about this piece of art gives me an affective consequence. Obvisouly I'm going to have a positive connection with the art because it's white, my favorite color. The form, its a unicron. It's symetrical. It's magical. It's balanced. As far as the spacing, the full moon in the painting gives me an OCD (which really should be CDO - alphabetical) attack. I messed up on the moon. So yes, naturally, I'm not going to find the moon in perfect balance nor in the apporitate spcae. Overall, I feel satisfied about the design influences... but I could have done better.
I'm not sure if I'm "repsonding" the way Mr. Young wants me to... I don't really connect with things. I failed an assignment in Mr. Blakely's class. He asked me how "do" I respond to the Mona Lisa and instead I wrote a paper on how I "would" respond. So, I'm sorry, Eric, that I can't give you so much of a response... but hopefully the fact that I feel emotionally and physically connected to the unicorn painting is enough of a repsonse to make you understand that I do try to feel things... I just don't respond.
K, now how do you conclude these assignment things? Am I done? Can I be excused? Um... le fin.


No comments:
Post a Comment